I evaluated iA Writer and evaluated Ulysses some time ago and ended up selecting Ulysses at the time. Since then, two things have happened.
- Ulysses moved to a rental software pricing model (subscription model)
- iA Writer features have rapidly evolved
Overall, I’m completely thrilled with the capabilities of iA Writer v5. It is addressing the features I cared most about, Front matter, metadata variables, tables, templating3, table of contents, number headings.
I am especially happy that iA Writer is not rental software!
Ulysses is a fine writing application. However, the features I have wanted and currently want, have not been there for sometime now. Their explination 4 and reasoning for making the move to a subscription based model implied great things to come concerning features and turn-around time. Yet, over the past year I waited and watched as a few updates were released. In v13 improved code blocks arrived; Great but not enough for me.
Attribution for the iA Writer logo5
- App website https://ia.net/writer ↩︎
- App website https://ulysses.app/ ↩︎
- Have not tried my hand at this yet, but the documentation suggests straightforward control ↩︎
- https://medium.com/building-ulysses/why-were-switching-ulysses-to-subscription–47f80b07a9cd ↩︎
- By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=36557109 ↩︎